User Research



During the user research phase, I did some short visits to the Youth Habilitation Center in Umea, the Handicapped Organization in Umea, the Swebus Bus Garage, the Public Transportation department of the Umea Municipality and homes of users who accepted to make interview with me.



Beside these visits, I tried some special equipments for disabilities in the HjÀlpsmedels Center, also visited a scene talking cinema for visually impaired people in Umea.

I did the user interviews with a homogenious group of people with the help of Elisabeth and Britta in finding people who have different expertise and disabilities. As a result, the interviews were done with:


. 2 bus drivers

. 2 wheelchair users
. a young wheelchair user with her assistant

. a visually impaired woman

. a hearing impaired 80 year old man

. a movement disabled woman with rheumatism
. a parent with pram
. a young student
. an occupational therapist


With some of the users I traveled together and documented their journey. I also did some interviews in visits. I tried to do the user visits in an unofficial coffee visit atmosphere, instead of creating an official atmosphere with questionnaires to be filled in.

During the interviews, I asked the users' daily journey cycle from the starting point till the final destination. Their private stories were also welcome in order to use them during the evaluation process.


Daniella and Sara
their daily journey and use of the city bus



Ulrik and his small family
taking their first bus trip to the city center with a pram


Ander's use of transportation in Umea
He took the pictures himself with a disposable camera that I gave to him.


A visually impaired person's view inside the bus
This is almost how I experienced when I tried the special glasses that are designed for witnessing a visual disabled person's sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment